AECOM Social Sustainability Consultant in Birmingham, United Kingdom
Business Line Environment
Position Title Social Sustainability Consultant
United Kingdom - West Midlands
AECOM’s Policy and Appraisal team is currently looking to recruit a motivated Social Sustainability Consultant. The Policy and Appraisal team sits within a wider Environment and Planning team which constitutes one of the largest environment and planning consultancies in the UK. E&P provides strategic planning, environmental and social consultancy advice for a wide spectrum of policies, plans, programmes, strategies and infrastructure and development projects. Project sectors range from rail, road, aviation, power and waste management, to urban regeneration, industrial facilities, onshore and offshore oil and gas, marine and coastal projects.
The successful candidate will report to a Principal Consultant and will be expected to work on a range of projects; handling and being accountable for a number of tasks simultaneously. The role will require technical knowledge of social impact assessment (including equality impact assessment or related equalities, diversity and inclusion-related work), social surveys, stakeholder consultation, excellent team working and communication skills, the capacity to write clear logical reports and the ability to deliver to deadlines. The successful candidate will ideally have consultancy experience but this is by no means essential. The grade at which the appointment is made will depend on experience and, for this reason, we welcome applications from people at different stages in their careers. The position will be based at AECOM’s Birmingham office and will require frequent travel to London.
AECOM’s Policy and Appraisal team is a specialist interdisciplinary policy research, assessment, and evaluation team based in our London, Basingstoke, Birmingham, Bristol and Plymouth offices. The team comprises 19 staff specialising in Strategic Environmental Assessment (SEA)/Sustainability Appraisal; social impact measurement and valuation, including equalities impact assessment; local and neighbourhood planning; climate change policy and finance; and natural capital and ecosystem services.
We are a leading provider of Equality Impact Assessment (EqIA) and related services with a significant portfolio of current EqIA projects at different levels of planning and in various sectors. We work with both public and private sector clients to ensure that equality, diversity and inclusion considerations are firmly embedded within policies, plans, projects and investment decisions to help create a fairer society following the requirements of the Equalities Act 2010. AECOM’s EqIA experience includes major infrastructure schemes and mixed-use urban regeneration projects.
We have an impressive portfolio of projects. A selection of our current and recent projects includes:
• Equality Impact Assessments for various high profile schemes including HS2 Phases 1 and 2B, A303 Stonehenge and Melton Mowbray Distributor Road
• Working with Highways England to undertake an Equality Impact Assessment of the Expressways Concept
• Managing the equality, diversity and inclusion strategy for HS2 Phase 2B
• Advising local authorities with understanding the impacts of regeneration schemes on groups with protected characteristics including Elephant and Castle and Wards Corner regeneration scheme projects.
The successful candidate will be expected to undertake the following illustrative roles and responsibilities:
• Assist in the delivery of EqIAs, other forms of social impact assessment and socio-environmental research projects to ensure projects are delivered on time and to the highest standard
• Understand and implement project management principles and fully appreciate the need to work within project budgets
• Prioritise project actions and meet commitments on an on-going basis while taking ownership and responsibility for the quality and completion of work
• Analyse both qualitative and quantitative data effectively and carry out desk based studies and site visits as required
• Keep up to date with equalities and other relevant legislation, policy and guidance
• Work collaboratively within an interdisciplinary and wider team to ensure the smooth running of projects
• Communicate effectively with their line manager, project managers, clients, project teams and other members of the Policy & Appraisal team by telephone, e-mail, letters and reports
• Participate in team meetings, client briefs and other meetings as and when required
• Support business development through preparing Expressions of Interest and tender submissions and working to continuously improve our service offer to clients
• Assist in marketing activities related to social sustainability services and proactively promote social sustainability best practice and innovation across our business
• Previous experience of working in a consultancy environment would be beneficial
• Knowledge of Equality Impact Assessment and current best practice guidance
• Experience of undertaking EqIA and other forms of social impact assessment and socio-environmental research in practice
• Knowledge of other forms of impact assessment (e.g. environmental, social and health) would be beneficial
• Professional, organised and thorough approach to work which demonstrates an attention to detail to get things right the first time
• Ability to manage own time and comfortable working both within a team or independently to tight deadlines
• Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, and capacity to work as part of an integrated and multidisciplinary team
• Client focused team player with a positive attitude
You will have obtained a bachelor’s degree and hold at least a master’s level qualification in a social-related discipline (e.g. sociology, public policy/administration, human geography and development studies) or have equivalent work experience
What We Offer
AECOM is a place where you can put your innovative thinking and business skills into high gear and work alongside other highly intelligent and motivated people. It's a place where you can apply your skills to some of the world's most challenging, interesting, and meaningful projects worldwide. It's a place that values the diversity of our areas of practice and our people. It's what makes AECOM a great place to work and grow. AECOM is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
NOTICE TO THIRD PARTY AGENCIES:
Please note that AECOM does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters or employment agencies. In the absence of a signed Recruitment Fee Agreement, AECOM will not consider or agree to payment of any referral compensation or recruiter fee. In the event a recruiter or agency submits a resume or candidate without a previously signed agreement, AECOM explicitly reserves the right to pursue and hire those candidate(s) without any financial obligation to the recruiter or agency. Any unsolicited resumes, including those submitted to hiring managers, are deemed to be the property of AECOM.
Job Category Sciences
Country United Kingdom
Position Status Full-Time
Requisition/Vacancy No. 165458BR