Citi Leveraged Finance Execution - Legal in London, United Kingdom
Primary Location: United Kingdom,England,London
Education: Bachelor's Degree
Job Function: Institutional Banking
Shift: Day Job
Employee Status: Regular
Travel Time: No
Job ID: 17064271
Working as part of EMEA Capital Markets Origination , this role will be exclusively dedicated to Citi’s EMEA Leveraged Finance and working on the business desk. The focus will be on Leveraged Loans.
The successful candidate will be the team's key business resource for reviewing transaction documentation and transaction execution. The successful candidate will also take a lead role in maintaining precedents and in the training and development of team members on documentation and deal processes for Leveraged Loans.
This position will liaise with Citi Legal on policies and procedures.
The role will not provide legal advice or assess legal risk which will reside with the legal function.
The Leveraged Finance business is engaged in helping clients raise finance through high yield bonds and leveraged loans. Typical frequently private equity backed or mid market corporates.
The position involves:
• In conjunction with Legal, reviewing and negotiating business terms in loan transactions from inception to completion. In particular, marketing materials, term sheets, commitment documentation, credit agreements, and guarantees . Certain documents and/or terms will continue to require review and sign off by the legal function.
• Reviewing clients’ existing capital structures and documentation with a view to advising the business on structuring options.
• Maintain precedents of previous transaction terms with regards to legal documentation.
• In conjunction with Legal train Leveraged Finance team members in understanding and negotiating leveraged loan documentation.
• Working closely with other members in the team and Legal as appropriate.
• Liaising with other control groups within Citi, for example, Legal, Risk, Accounting Policy, Tax and Compliance.
• Transaction management of external counsel.
The successful candidate will have exposure to a wide variety of leveraged loan products provided by a market leading institution with an extensive international footprint. They will also enjoy working with a dynamic, proactive team. The candidate will have the opportunity to develop the role and expand it. In addition, overtime, the individual could rotate into banking coverage and execution.
• Significant experience in advising on leveraged lending transactions between banks and corporate and private equity clients.
• Familiarity with both English law and New York law loan documentation preferred.
• Familiarity with high yield bond documentation a plus.
• Leveraged finance legal expertise
• Excellent technical skills and analytical ability.
• Ability to break-up and simplify complex issues and communicate concisely and clearly.
• Ability to work in a professional but demanding environment.
• Solicitor qualified in England or Wales or equivalent from another jurisdiction.
• Typically, applicants will have at least 4-5 years PQE. However, exceptional candidates with the necessary skills and type of experience may be eligible to be considered for the position, regardless of their level of PQE
• A non-qualified lawyer with relevant documentation and transaction execution experience from another financial institution will also be considered.
• Enthusiastic / confident / outgoing
• Sense of humour / robust personality / resilience
• Strong business judgement and commercial attitude
• Good attention to detail
• Ability to work to strict deadlines and without supervision
• Co-operative, team-oriented style
• Risk awareness
Candidates applying for this role must be aware that it is a Certified Role, subject to the Certification Regime. The Certification Regime is one element of the Individual Accountability Regime which has come into effect on 7 March 2016. Under the Certification Regime, certain Citi entities must ensure that employees working in certain roles categorised as specified significant harm functions (Certified Roles) are assessed as fit and proper to carry out their role.
Under the guidance provided by the FCA and PRA, firms should have regard to the following when assessing fitness and propriety:
• Honesty, integrity and reputation
• Financial soundness
• Competence and capability
In order to comply with the requirements of the Certification Regime, certain Citi entities must take reasonable care to ensure that an employee does not perform a Certified Role without first being certified as Fit and Proper. For this reason, you will be assessed for this role against the Fit and Proper requirements, as described above. This assessment will be carried out through extensive interviews, self-disclosures, permitted criminal record checks, reference checks, credit checks and other background checks. If hired for this role, you will also be required to complete an annual declaration regarding your Fitness and Propriety.
By submitting your application, you acknowledge that you have read the information above and that you are applying for a Certified Role. You also agree to Citi carrying out any additional screening required, including permitted criminal record checks, reference checks, credit checks and any other background checks.
Exceptional candidates who do not meet these criteria may be considered for the role provided they have the necessary skills and experience.
Demonstrates an appreciation of a diverse workforce. Appreciates differences in style or perspective and uses differences to add value to decisions or actions and organisational success.
Citi is an Equal Opportunities Employer