North Highland Proposal Manager in London, United Kingdom
Job: Proposal Manager
Share || Email this job
CELEBRATE YOUR PERSONALITY AND TEAM SPIRIT.
GROW THROUGH YOUR CHOICES.
MAKE YOUR MARK.
North Highland has a mantra: Unleash Potential Together. For our clients, it means we challenge thinking and build capabilities, so that after each engagement, they are left stronger and inspired to do more. With our colleagues, it means fostering an environment where bringing, shaping, growing and sharing ideas isn’t just encouraged—it’s expected. And within our communities, it means we give of our skills, time and passion to make them more prosperous.
Proposal Manager – Strategic Proposal Team
London, UK (Holburn)
The North Highland Strategic Proposal Team (SPT) is looking for an experienced, high performing, and energetic Proposal Manager to work in our London office. The SPT is a Global North Highland team that provides pursuit leadership & strategy, proposal support, research, training and tools, and facilitates sharing of business development best practices across North Highland. This is a permanent position and reports into the Global Strategic Proposal Director within the Marketing Department. They will work hand in hand with the Business Development team, senior Client Executives, client-facing teams, and other internal teams. This role operates as the SPT Proposal Manager to govern, educate, advocate, and bring adherence to the SPT proposal process and methodology. Ultimately, the use of the SPT proposal process will align a strategic proposal approach to targeted and qualified opportunities and increase our probability of win.
As a member of the SPT, the Proposal Manager will serve as the project manager for large and strategic proposal opportunities at North Highland. This candidate should have a background as a Proposal Manager, should be intimately acquainted with Business Development techniques, and be familiar with the specifics of selling work in the consulting market. In partnership with the Portfolio, Capability and Business Development Teams. This person will be responsible for managing the tactical activities associated with large business and strategic pursuits from start to finish.
Given the importance of this role, we are looking for a professional who can perform under pressure within a fast-paced environment, while contributing to the North Highland culture. The individual also needs to be a driver and possess an ability to confidently lead, process at speed, demonstrate resilience, and have the unyielding application required in an operational role in a professional services firm. Though this is a permanent role, this person will manage a small rotating team of consultants to help craft, create, and cultivate this proposal material.
Proposal Management – proactively driving the pursuit process and managing the bid team from bid inception to completion
Executing a tailored Proposal Methodology
Includes: planning, organizing, and drafting storyboards, outlines, proposal approaches and responses. Schedule and conduct planning meetings, color reviews, proposal milestone deliverables, coordinate pursuit team contributors, liaise between internal teams, and ensure compliance with firm policies. Facilitate pursuit teams through development of a pursuit strategy including defining points of strategic differentiation and value proposition design. Co-develop a thoughtful approach and develop responses/key messages that convey the value proposition for each opportunity
Develop customized proposals that demonstrate understanding of target’s needs, either by request or in response to RFPs
- Plan orals discussion and strategy, schedule and facilitate dry runs
- Works in partnership with creative designer to design and communicate messages and presentations effectively
- Assess win/loss – in formalised debriefs with the customer, team post mortems & lessons learned, communicate internally with participating lines of business and communities, and build lessons learned into any future proposals – ‘continuous improvement’.
- Bring fresh and creative ideas to the pursuit process around new sales tactics, methods of strategic differentiation, and value articulation of North Highland services
- Assist bid teams with utilizing the appropriate resources and subject matter expertise across the firm for specific pursuits
- Serve as owner and curator of the proposal management and development toolset - develop templates, tools, content, and best practices
- Help organize proposal specific content and historical proposal content in Proposal Repositories to include: final proposals, reference libraries, and other related libraries within SharePoint.
- Act as strategic advisor to Portfolio Leads, Client Executives and Client Leads in the realm of pursuit management
- Build relationships with industry, service line, market, and other key stakeholders
- Editorial duties both as a contributor and editor
- Submission and Post-Submittal milestones, reviews, and communications
- Proposal administrative tasks and duties as required
- Manage London consultants on rotation to the Proposal Team, including providing clear direction, leadership and coaching to the team members, providing timely feedback as required to support the Firm’s people development processes and plan and manage any transitions in conjunction with the local consulting
Work collaboratively with Portfolio, Global Services and Capability Teams to facilitate business development activity
The success of the role will be measure through the efficiency of the proposal process (throughput and quality), win rates, sales volume, gross margin and team feedback
Requirements & Experience
- Minimum of 3 years of consulting experience or experience working within sales or business development roles in diverse industries
- Minimum of 8 years in leading bids in proposal management processes and methodologies
- Experience with or certification by the Association of Proposal Management Professionals (APMP) and/or the Shipley Methodology required
- Must have strong experience leading large pursuit teams through the process of responding to client RFPs
- Highly developed business and sales acumen (business case writing, strategic analysis, value proposition design, strategic differentiation)
- Strong written and oral communication and presentation skills
- Project Management skills
- Comfortable leading/facilitating groups discussions or meetings in a virtual format Leadership ability
- Balanced knowledge of consulting core competencies such as Project Management, Change Management, Process, and Technology knowledge
- Quick and thorough ability to perform analytical breakdown of RFPs both from compliance and customer needs
- Ability to track and organize multiple proposals, activities, and people at same time
- Well organized, communicative, and a polished writing professional
- Resourceful (able to do independent research and utilize resources of a global firm)
- Strong Microsoft Word and PowerPoint skills
- SharePoint knowledge and other proposal related tools
Ability to work independently
North Highland is a global management consulting firm known for helping clients solve their most complex challenges related to customer experience , performance improvement , technology and digital , and transformation . We add value and support our clients across the full spectrum of consulting, from strategy through delivery. We bring the big ideas, then we make them real. North Highland is an employee-owned firm, headquartered in Atlanta, GA, with more than 3,000 consultants worldwide and 60+ offices around the globe. The firm is a member of Cordence Worldwide , a global management consulting alliance. For more information, visit northhighland.com and connect with us on LinkedIn , Twitter and Facebook .
North Highland is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and welcomes all qualified applicants. Applicants will receive fair and impartial consideration without regard to race, sex, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, genetic data, or other legally protected status.