Microsoft Corporation Senior HR Manager - Employee Relations in Reading, United Kingdom
At Microsoft, we are advancing the way we support leaders, managers and employees to ensure we can, deliver greater business impact, provide great experiences for managers and employees, prepare our future workforce whilst simplifying HR processes and policies to gain greater efficiency & productivity for the workforce and HR alike. We have evolved the HR model to focus on (1) dedicated focus on the day-to-day needs of our employees and managers and (2) dedicated support for our business leaders’ and the people implications of the business plans. The roles within the twelve strong HR Management team are divided between these two equally important priorities.
As ‘Line Solutions’ HR Manager, supporting the day-to-day needs of our employees and managers you will play a leading role in driving the digital transformation of our HR Function at Microsoft as part of a team accountable for ensuring the best possible employee experiences, an optimized and data and insight-driven HR service delivery providing the opportunity to evolve that service delivery to reflect the organisation’s growth and cultural strategy , and the strongest possible capability building for employees and managers. Collectively, the Line Solutions HRMs are chartered with improving the employee and manager experience through a range of reactive, proactive and predictive HR services. These services include, and are not limited to, HR consultancy & case management, delivery of a culture changing approach to Performance and Development, leadership & readiness of the UK People Leadership community, provision of on-boarding frameworks and programs that successfully ready our newest talent, HR practice and policy definition & improvement, employee information and participation programs, and leadership of organisational changes as required such as acquisitions, TUPE transfers or redeployments of the workforce.
As strong partners to the Global HR Operations team, and HR Managers dedicated support for our business leaders’ who are aligned more directly to our largest businesses, the Line Solutions HRMs lead both strategic, operational, and behavioural changes that transform the capability and culture of the organisation. As a trusted consultant to a broad variety of business clients this role provides the opportunity to:
• Coach & enable people leaders to consistently embody the culture we need for the current and future state of the organization & support them in improving the effectiveness and performance of their teams.
• Connect & integrate insights into proactive and predictive HR Services that enable us to scale HRthese services consistently around the globe, holding yourself and others accountable for delivering on these in an ever increasing proactive and predictive way.
• Contribute and lead the enhancement of People Leader and Employee capability, driving tangible results, that increase manager effectiveness to build and drive transformation and strengthen team performance in a way that motivates employees to do their best for themselves and as a team.
• Develop a strong muscle for collaborating and getting things done across the HR team supporting Microsoft’s businesses in London, Reading and colleagues all around the globe.
• Identify, explore and leverage synergies across the HR team to maximize our collective business impact.
The UK HR Team
This role reports to the HR Director for HR Management in the UK, and is part of a team of 12 HR Managers, who together create a culture that attracts, develops and engages a 3,500-strong workforce that is motivated to drive market success and achieve growth for the company. The UK HR Management team are supported by, and partner closely with, the UK HR Operations team (GHRO), UK & European Talent Acquisition team, and UK & Global HR Centres of Excellence.
Key Accountabilities for the ‘Line Solutions’ HR Manager Role:
• Provides HR consulting services and case management to various stakeholders across the business leaders and HR global organization regarding HR processes and coaching on employee relations matters, previously triaged by Global HR Operations, and reaching the Line Solutions team through the CRM/queue management system.
• Drives resolution of issues, in collaboration with partners in staffing, human resources, finance, legal, employee advocates, ERG groups and a wide-ranging peer group of global HR colleagues.
• Mentors and coaches’ peers on HR processes, managing highly complex employee relations cases in ways that embodies Microsoft values and ensures compliance and adherence to Microsoft and HR policy.
• Drives HR data analytics, diagnostics capabilities & building of recommendations to improve and evolve the HR Services by establishing and working closely with the HR Business Insights team.
• Builds capability in managers to facilitate an open, inclusive, Microsoft values-based environment that enables effective employee experience.
• Aggregates training needs identified within the organization, developing implementation plans to address the needs identified and may partner with other HR functions in developing respective trainings or resources - coordinating across the UK HR team to scale the implementations of such trainings.
• Coordinates and is responsible to ensure that all HR policies covering managed processes are up to date and fully documented. Will establish strong partnerships with relevant HR policy owners both in the UK and globally.
• Assist with investigations and implements appropriate remediation in conjunction with local and global practices. May act as escalation point for more complex HR cases referred to Line Solutions team.
• Manages provision and continual improvement of all core HR processes, ensuring their consistent delivery across the diverse UK businesses, in a predictive and proactive way.
• Fosters a culture of ethical behavior. Ensures the client organization follows Microsoft and HR policies and regulations, as well as local workforce laws. Ensures business leaders are making decisions and taking actions that are in accordance with them. Mitigate potential risk to the company.
Competencies & Capabilities
• Strong business & people acumen and ability to influence people leaders around complex HR decisions.
Demonstrable experience in analyzing business issues and providing scalable HR solutions
• Ability to manage and resolve a caseload of sensitive employee matters in a complex and matrixed business.
• Maintains a broad perspective & removes barriers by working with others around a shared need or customer benefit.
• Sets clear and challenging goals for a portfolio of work, and pursues them with enthusiasm and passion.
Ability to deal with ambiguity, and achieve results in a fast-paced, heavily-distributed team environment
• Demonstrates openness and acceptance to others’ ideas.
• Understands unstated or less obvious reasons for others’ concerns, behavior, and perspectives.
• Analyzes relevant business & people metrics to develop strong business cases for investments & initiatives.
• Supports clients to resolve difficult issues: identifies issues, clarifies opinions/assumptions, and drives for resolution.
• Provides advice across multiple areas of expertise, demonstrating knowledge of local HR legislation and proven track record in complex employee relations.
• Excellent cross-group collaboration, communication, negotiation, and interpersonal skills
• Data-driven – ability to manipulate and analyze HR data and drive solutions/recommendations based on insights
Education and Experience
Proven track-record of Senior HR Consultancy or Employee relations (or equivalent experiences) in similar matrixed, international, commercial environment. BS/BA degree, or equivalent required. CIPD Qualified, preferred. MBA or MA in HR related field, preferred.