General Electric Power Electronics Engineer – Valve Engineering in Stafford, United Kingdom
GE is the world’s Digital Industrial Company, transforming industry with software-defined machines and solutions that are connected, responsive and predictive. Through our people, leadership development, services, technology and scale, GE delivers better outcomes for global customers by speaking the language of industry.
It is not about your career… it is not about your job title… it is about who you are…. It is about the impact you are going to make on the world. You want to go into uncharted waters… do things that haven’t been done to make yours and someone else's life better. GE has been doing that for decades! We will continue to do so! We are the world’s digital industrial company.
Grid Solutions equips 90% of power utilities worldwide to bring power reliably and efficiently from the point of generation to end power consumers. With over 200 years combined experience in providing advanced energy solutions, our products and services enable more resilient, efficient and reliable power systems. For more information, visit www.GEGridSolutions.com
GE is committed to taking on the world’s toughest challenges. In order to fulfill that promise we rely on a culture of leadership, diversity and inclusiveness. We aim to employ the world’s brightest minds to help us create a limitless source of ideas and opportunities. We believe in hiring talented people of varied backgrounds, experiences and styles…people like you!
This role offers excellent opportunity for a motivated candidate to innovate, expand their design skill and personal development within an internationally recognised expert in this exciting field. Whilst based at the HVDC Centre of Excellence in Stafford there will be international travel opportunities to collaborate with other GE units, test laboratories and customer sites.
• Generate project documentation (such as type test specification, type test reports, design reports…)
• Validation of key component ratings (Size of the Valve, Calculation of losses, RAM study…).
• Working against customer specification at project stage (Clause by Clause, Risk analysis).
• Integration with other engineering departments for product definition (System design, Main Scheme, Layout, Commercial).
• Circuit simulation for design and future testing as part of project awarded.
• Product design, and definition, including routine and type test specifications and pre-commissioning testing.
• Product support during complete life cycle (From Tender to Project commissioned).
• Support site activities during erections of the valve, pre-commissioning and training for customer.
• Expectation to travel 20% of the time across the world.
• Educated to degree level in electrical or electronic engineering or equivalent knowledge & experience
• Power electronic converters (motor drives, such as HVDC and FACTS applications)
• High power electronic components (IGBTs, thyristors, passive components)
• Thermal Design (loss calculations, heatsink specification liquid cooling)
• Specification & report writing
• Simulation tools such as Matlab-Simulink, PSCAD-EMTDC
• Design & type testing programmes
• Requirements capture
• Risk analysis
• EHS compliance ability
• Good communication skills
Applications from job seekers who require sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. However, non-EU/EEA candidates may not be appointed to a post if a suitably qualified, experienced and skilled EU/EEA candidate is available to take up the post, as the employing body is unlikely, in these circumstances, to satisfy the Resident Labour Market Test. For further information please visit the UK Border Agency website
Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS) clearance is required and must be maintained for this role. Please note that in the event that BPSS clearance cannot be obtained, you may not be eligible for the role and/or any offer of employment may be withdrawn on grounds of national security. Please see the link below for further details regarding the requirements for BPSS clearance
• Prior experience of electrical transmission industry
• Prior experience on site
• Thermal and hydraulic design (e.g. loss temperature calculations, thermal modelling, thermal characteristics of material, pressure drop calculations)
• Intellectual property and the patent process experience
• Power Electronic control & protection
• Understanding of multi-modular converters
• High Voltage engineering
• Ability to coordinate and lead a small group of engineers
• Good at sharing knowledge and experience
Locations: United Kingdom; Stafford
GE offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation. GE is an Equal Opportunity Employer at http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeocselfprint_poster.pdf . Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.