RELX Group Principal Architect in United Kingdom
Category: IT/Technical & Product Development
Location: United Kingdom
Principal Architect for Reed Business Information – based Sutton, Surrey
Competitive + benefits package
Opening date: 18 th September 2017
Closing date: 18 th October 2017
This position is part of the technical management team reporting directly to the Senior Director of Corporate Solutions; develops and leads large multifunctional system activities; solves complex technical problems; writes complex structure; and serves as a senior source of expertise. The position also may provide sizing or budget recommendations to senior management team. This role also provides prompt recovery and problem escalation for the exceptions, extrapolating and integrating information within defined boundaries, using multiple system management and problem management tools.
- Manage infrastructure costs and provide management information of current and future costs across Dev, Test and LIVE environments
- Manage and monitor software, hardware and/or service usage licenses
- Recommend and plan use of new system features and hardware for new products and servers to improve overall operation of system and productivity of staff
- Work closely with development groups, support groups, and vendors to coordinate special operations, and communicate/escalate problems as appropriate to meet assigned deadlines
- Work closely with support groups to refine system monitoring and reporting, and to assist them in their analysis and problem recovery
- Install program products and system components or aid in installation by development and support groups
- Develop optimum system configurations and plans for installation of hardware devices
- Develop and implement security programs: manage and execute project deliverables; communicate to affected stakeholders including departments within the company; develop program procedures including guidelines and flow diagrams to be implemented on an ongoing basis; and develop tools or metrics that allow for the measurement of successful program implementation
- Review job control/scripts developed by less experienced staff members and assist in modifications of same for optimum performance and drive release efficiencies
- Demonstrate knowledge of system parameters to control, configure, and install various systems; in-depth knowledge of software installation aids; and user knowledge of all facets of the online system
- Apply problem-solving skills in multiple operating environments to support assignments involving the execution of a series of related tasks
- Proper management and implementation of technology changes and release requests
- Proper creation, execution, documentation, and closure of releases
- Provisioning and managing Dev and Test environments comprising of all technologies including Salesforce, ESB, DotNET, Oracle, BI, HPCC, SQL Server and all infrastructure resources. Also, provide environment governance and manage Config, Code and/or Data refreshes to facilitate Project or BAU activities
- Provisioning and managing all infrastructure resources and liaising with Operations specialist functions such as network, security etc.
- Ensure success of delivery to platforms and solutions involving Salesforce, ESB, Viper, ReedXS, CCS, DotNET, BI, Oracle, HPCC and work with Operations release processes. Drive efficiency through automation where possible
- Provisioning and managing all shared technology resources such as JIRA, Confluence, Sharepoint, Jenkins, GitLab and to drive best practice across projects and various development stages
- Develop a robust monitoring capability across all infrastructure and application platforms including traffic visualization; detect failures and generate alerts. Develop tools to providing this capability efficiently
- Demonstrate expertise and thorough understanding of major system components in completing assigned tasks (i.e., storage systems, Linux kernel, UNIX kernel, UNIX file system, and Windows infrastructure)
- Good technology change management skills
- Advanced knowledge of storage systems, Linux kernel and Windows infrastructure
- Knowledge of virtual server environments and thin client
- Knowledge of scripts for automation
- Strong communication skills
- Ability and willingness to mentor junior staff
- Strong organization/project planning, time management, and change management skills across multiple functional groups and departments, and strong delegation skills involving prioritizing and reprioritizing projects and managing projects of various size and complexity
- Advanced problem-solving experience involving leading teams in identifying, researching, and coordinating the resources necessary to effectively troubleshoot/diagnose complex project issues; prior success extracting/translating findings into alternatives/solutions; and identifying risks/impacts and schedule adjustments to facilitate management decision-making
- Advanced communication (verbal and written) and customer service skills. Strong interpersonal, communication, and presentation skills applicable to a wide audience including senior and executive management, customers, etc., including diction/terminology and presenting information in a concise and effective manner to clients, management, and various departments using assorted communication mediums
So who are RELX and RBI?
Reed Business Information (RBI) provides information, analytics and data to business professionals worldwide. Our strong global products and services hold market-leading positions across a wide range of industry sectors including banking, petrochemicals and aviation where we help customers make key strategic decisions every day. RBI is part of the FTSE100 RELX Group plc, a world-leading provider of information solutions for professional customers across industries.
As a backbone of such leading brands and digital products, within RBI Corporate Solutions Group, we deliver business systems such as Salesforce, Zuora, Oracle Financials etc., Message-oriented middleware platforms such as Sonic ESB, Big Data processing platform such as HPCC (High-Performing Compute Cluster), IBM Cognos for BI/BFM and various other point solutions and web technologies.
How important is technology to Corporate Solutions Group?
Technology is a central part of RBI business. Technology teams provide online products and systems to collect and distribute data to our global audience. We invest in business process automation to drive business process efficiency, support our products to achieve online growth, mitigate business risk and deliver compliance.
What is it like to work here?
Outstanding - you’ve probably already got a feel for what we do and the technology we’re involved with but what’s really stands us out from the crowd is our culture. We’re an agile, dynamic and forward thinking organisation who understands the importance of looking after our staff. We pride ourselves on delivering high-quality products, providing our employees with interesting challenges for their personal and career development whilst also striking the right balance between work and family life. In addition to all of this we offer the following 'core' benefits:
- 29 days holiday
- 2 paid charity days (as a business we do a lot of charity work)
- Pension and life assurance scheme
- SAYE Share Options Scheme
And what about your career?
Career development is a big thing for us and we take out PDP (personal development plan) process very seriously; we want you to learn and progress quickly in the direction you want to go and we will provide you with the training and support to achieve that at the right pace. The great thing about us career-wise is that we’re a company made up of leading online businesses so you can develop in three dimensions, vertically through the business, across different brands, and across different functions. We’re an international business and are often able to offer overseas opportunities either as secondments or on a permanent basis.
RBI are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.